of Seton Center
In 1941, the Sisters of Charity of Seton Hill purchased the building
and property of what had been known as West Liberty Public School
in Brookline. Classes began there that year in Elizabeth Seton High
School, founded to offer top quality education to young women of
Allegheny County. Eleven years later, a second building was erected
on the site to provide an auditorium, cafeteria, kitchen, convent
area, chapel and more classrooms, and in 1970, the old West Liberty
Building was replaced by a newly constructed one.
In 1979, Elizabeth Seton High School was merged with South Hills
Catholic High School to form the co-educational Seton-LaSalle Catholic
In 1985, the Board of Directors amended the Articles of Incorporation,
the property became known as Seton Center, and many of the services
carried out today were initiated. A Senior Center and the Adult
Day Services facility opened, a School of Arts was formed, and
an after-school program for children from kindergarten to age 12
began. An Advisory Board of business, civic, and church leaders
was appointed to offer advice and direction to the managers of the
Center. A year later, the Seton Center facility in Overbrook was opened.
1986 also witnessed the expansion of the Child-Care Center in Brookline
to include pre-school children from ages three to five, while the
Infant and Toddler Care facility was opened in 1992.
The Center's programs in Greensburg began in 1987, with the establishment
of Adult Day Services capabilities, with Ombudsman services established
in 1996 through a contract with Westmoreland County. Today the Seton
Center programs in Greensburg are housed in Monahan Center, near
the campus of Seton Hill University.
In 1996, a theatre group was initiated, performing
primarily in the auditorium at the Center's Brookline facility.
Today, the Seton Center is managed and controlled by a Board
of Trustees, which includes the President,
who is the chief executive officer of the Center.